Saturday, January 27, 2007

Cada núvem negro tem forro prata

("Every black cloud has a silver lining.")

It finally happened...and I was having a really good day too. After two weeks of a tight hamstring, it finally pulled in the middle of a movement that I must have done a million times. Playing against a lower-belted student in the roda, I went in for au amazonas, only to feel a crunch sensation followed by a sharp pain from my left leg. Weakly limping out of the roda, I went home and hung out at a friend's place, sitting on an ice pack for the better part of three hours.

I initially intended this blog to be not so much as a resource, but some opinions, theories, and experiences in the art of Capoeira, an Afro-Brasilian art form which combines martial arts, dance, music, history, and culture. But right now, this blog is just about the only thing that's keeping me sane.

Regardless of what I'm going through in the day, everything disappears when I'm in the roda. The berimbau rhythms inspire aché which in turn is spread among others in the group. Regardless of who I play, I am never more alive even when I hit the ground.

So, with three weeks on the injured list, what else is there to do? I have a relatively large library of songs to learn and memorize, a berimbau cabaça which I was supposed to have custom painted a long time ago, and I can always brush up on my Portuguese. Onde e o banheiro?

That, and I can share my life in Capoeira in the blogosphere.

Aché!

No comments: